Monday, June 18, 2012

Veterinary Orthopedic Manipulation

I am diverting from feline behavior issues today to tell y'all about what's going on medically with Spike. 
Last September he suddenly got very ill and was (mis)diagnosed with Feline Dysautonomia!  Yikes!  We nursed him back to health very slowly but he has never been quite the same.  Dr. Herrington was not able to determine the exact cause of Spikes digestive issues but is treating the symptoms (gurgly tummy, occasional vomiting/constipation/soft stool, passing gas, throat popping, howling etc.) with Prednisalone and Metoclopramide. He did not do an endoscopy or ultrasound, by the way, just blood tests and x-rays.
Two weeks ago we decided to try a holistic vet.  We took Spike to see Dr. Laura Ganske at Pet Health Cafe in Fort Lauderdale.  She spent about 90 minutes with us!  She asked a ton of questions and even looked through the entire folder I had stuffed with Spikes previous medical records.  Dr. Ganske was so sweet to my kitty.  She hugged him and talked kindly to him as if he were her own beloved pet.  They took blood and a urine sample and Dr. G did some muscle testing (I'm not providing a link or explanation here but this technique is related to kinesiology and energy medicine) questioning to try to figure out what is going on with my kitty.  I will spare you the rest of the medical info - blood test results etc. 
We decided to go ahead with Veterinary Orthopedic Manipulation (VOM) treatments.  We think there could possibly be a communication problem within Spikes body due to ... you know what?  I'm not going to be able to explain this well!!  Click the link!  If you don't want to click the link, suffice it to say VOM is related to chiropractic treatments.
Today's picture features Spike getting his first VOM treatment (thats what the gun-looking device is for) from Dr. Ganske.  I am nervously trying to hold his head straight with my sweaty paws.  The treatment was very quick and non-invasive.  Spike behaved himself pretty well.  He was trying to wiggle out of my whimp-grip, but we managed to keep him on the table and complete the treatment. 
I will bring him back again next week and will be more confident in my stabilizing duties!
Stay tuned for reports on Spike's progress.

No comments: